Instore uses a plastic-based gift card system designed to be swiped just like a credit card at your point of sale. These cards can double as Rewards cards.
- Plastic gift cards should be ordered beforehand using this form. Please request help from our support team if needed.
- The iDynamo credit card reader is used to read a gift card at the store. The Elo PayPoint also contains a built-in reader that serves the same purpose.
- Your iPad must be connected to the internet to sell and swipe gift cards, otherwise, Instore cannot retrieve customer information or check the gift card balance.
Creating/Reloading a Gift Card
- From the Instore app bill screen, swipe a gift card through the card reader to initiate the Gift Card edit screen. To manually input a gift card number, you’ll need to create an Item in your Menu called Gift Card.
- Enter the load amount in the “Funds to add” field.
- You can optionally add customer name, email, and phone number to associate with the card.
- Accept payment for the load amount via the Pay button.
Instore will add this gift card to the bill. The customer can then pay for the gift card using cash or credit as a payment method. If the bill is not paid, the gift card will not be activated for use.
Paying with a Gift Card
- To pay for an order with a gift card, tap the Pay button on the bill after adding an item to the bill.
- Swipe the gift card just like you would a credit card. Instore will treat them the same, except that gift cards do not have transaction fees to use.
Gift cards do not have transaction fees to swipe making them a great way to accept plastic at your store but without the overhead and cost of a traditional credit card. You can promote gift cards to your customers, who can reload the card whenever they are at your store.
Using Gift Cards without a Credit Card Processing Account
To use gift cards with Instore, you will need to swipe the card through a Magtek iDynamo credit card reader or the Elo PayPoint all-in-one. Contact Instore support for help purchasing either device.