If your printers does not connect or stay connected to your iPad(s) reliably, try the following troubleshooting steps.
- Confirm you are using one of Instore’s supported printer models, listed here.
- Make sure both the power cable and ethernet cable of your printer are firmly plugged into their respective outlets.
- Instore connects to your printer(s) through your internet router. Make sure the router is error-free and powered-on. Also make sure that the iPad is connected to the same network as the router. You can confirm this by checking the IP addresses on both devices. The iPad’s IP address is viewable by going to iPad Settings/WiFi, then selecting the blue i next to your connected network name. The printer’s IP address is viewable on the printer diagnostic printout. To generate this sheet, turn off your printer, then turn on with the Feed button held down for several seconds. The resulting diagnostic contains an IP address field. The first 3 numbers of the 4 number IP address should match on both the iPad and printer. Example: 192.168.10.xx and 192.168.10.yy.
- Make sure your iPad(s) are not hopping off your printer network. To do this, under iPad Settings/Wi-Fi, select the Ask to Join Networks switch at the bottom. Make sure it is green. If you see any networks listed that the iPad has connected to, touch the blue (i) to the right of the network name and then Forget This Network.
- Try and connect your printer to the testing applications made by Star or Epson. Both are available free in the Apple App Store. If your printer can’t connect to one of these applications, you may have a defective printer or network. If you can connect to one of these applications but not Instore, please call our support line.
- Simplify your network setup. This involves connecting your Internet modem to a wireless router restored to factory settings. When customers have printer problems, they are often related to network complexity, including using highly-configured routers provided by their broadband providers.
If you are still having trouble with your printers, please contact POS Portal at 855-838-4611. They may recommend a visit from a network professional who can troubleshoot your network in person. We work with Boomtown for this service.