Instore is compatible with a variety of Epson and Star Micronics thermal and impact printers. Specific models can be found on our hardware portal. Make sure your printer is Ethernet-ready, as USB printers are not compatible with Instore.
A thermal printer is appropriate for most use cases, except where heat makes the impact paper necessary. You can connect as many wireless printers as you have ports on your network router.
- To connect your printer to your iPad, attach the printer to your wireless router with an Ethernet cable, using the 100/10 Base Port port on the back of the printer.
- Ensure that your iPad is wirelessly connected to the same network as the printer AND that your printer has receipt paper installed.
- Plug the printer in and turn it on from the switch on the left side.
- Within Instore, touch the Settings gear on the lower left of the application, then touch Printers.
- Instore will search for connected printers. Once discovered, select the printer you will be using and touch Use this printer. You can Print a test page to confirm the connection.
Once connected, you can Tap to edit name: and rename your printer (eg “Kitchen” or “Bar”), as well as turn on Automatic customer receipts which print every time or turn on Automatic kitchen receipts to print kitchen-style receipts on every order. When either of these settings is switched Off, you can still print orders as necessary by hitting the Print button on the bill screen or after receiving payment.
If Instore cannot find your printer,
- Turn the printer off, hold down the Feed button on the printer, and turn it back on again, keeping your finger on the Feed button. If connected properly, the printer will print out an IP address after several seconds. If the IP address is all zeros, you’ll need to check your printer and network connections as the printer is not being issued an IP address by your router.
- With this IP address in hand, touch the Add printer manually button on Instore.
- Give the printer a name (eg “Printer 1”) and then enter the IP address just below.
When a printer is connected, the word Ready will appear at the top of the Printers tab next to the printer name. If Unplugged appears instead, repeat the steps above to connect it properly.
If this article doesn’t resolve any printing issues, contact our printer supplier, POS Portal, at 855 838 4611. Brandon Audisio is their resident printer expert.
You can add multiple printers to your store by attaching each printer to your network router and adding them to your iPad — you can even set up a kitchen printer.