Instore now offers a Table Maps feature for restaurants and other businesses with a table- or seat-centric workflow.
Activate Table Maps:
- Login to the Office portal and go to Settings/Locations
- After clicking on the location you wish to activate, check the Use table maps box, then select alert times, including how many minutes before a newly seated table turns red without an order and how many minutes an in-progress table turns red without being touched. Note you can also require a guest count on every order by checking the appropriate box.
- Be sure to decide on table map editing permissions under Customize Pinpad (in the Location Settings area) and in Employees/Permission Groups
Start a new table map
Once you have turned on the Table Maps feature, access Instore on any iPad and Download changes from Office under Instore Settings (v. 2.5.8 or later). You will see a new button on the top left of your screen to access Table Maps.
We allow for multiple maps to assist with different floors or regions of a restaurant. Inside your first map, create tables by a long press on the map, then selecting New table. You can create rectangle or round tables, customize the table name, and establish a seat count. Once the table is created, drag the corners to lengthen or rotate the table. Drag the middle of the table to move it anywhere on the map.
A long press on any table allows you to copy it to save time on additional tables. You can also create walls to make the map easier to read. Finally, you can increase or decrease the size of the map by touching the out/in arrows at the edges of the map. Once your map is complete, touch the Stop editing button on the top right of the screen to save your work. Create additional maps by touching the + button at the top of the screen. Maps are organized alphabetically.
Assign tables to servers
You can pre-assign employees to tables as you start a shift. To do so, select the Employees tab in Table Maps and drag the employee avatar to the table(s) you want assigned to him or her. Unassigned tables will appear in grey.
New orders can still be started on the Bill screen, using the header buttons, including the Server selector and the Table # selector. Table # options will show your created table names and have a Party count selector as well.
You can reassign tables to different employees by dragging the new employee onto a pre-assigned table. You can remove an employee from all their assigned tables by long-pressing their name on the employee list. You can remove them from a single table by dragging the Remove table owner avatar to that table. Finally, long-pressing the Remove table owner avatar will remove all employees currently assigned to tables, useful at the end of a shift.
Assign guests to tables
Use the Wait list area to queue new parties as they arrive. Note that typing in the Phone field will search for customers in your Customer Database if we recognize the phone number. Otherwise create a new customer by entering their name, phone number, and/or party count.
Similar to assigning employees, you can move wait list parties to tables by dragging their party count to the target table on the map. This starts a table, which will gradually turn from white to red until the server takes the first order. If you aren’t using a wait list, just click on the table you wish to open and add a guest count under the Table # selector on the bill screen.
As your tables fill up, your map will show active tables with order #, check total, time since open, and party count on the bottom right corner. Active tables gradually turn red if they haven’t been touched in a while.
Manage with table maps
A few features to keep your business running smoothly with table maps:
- See the number of assigned tables and guests by employee by touching the Employees area. White circles are assigned but unoccupied tables, blue circles are occupied tables, and guest count is listed. This feature helps a host or manager balance out server activity.
- Check the Tables list to see the aging of your tables, ranked by oldest to newest.
- Hide or show the Table Maps menu by touching the left or right arrow at the top of the map screen. You can pinch in to zoom in or pinch out to zoom out of your saved map.
- Merge tables by dragging the party count from one table to another. You’ll have the option of merging the checks or assigning multiple checks to the same table.